Sunday, March 22, 2015

A Different Type of Recovery

It's been on my mind for quite a while now to write again. With my own nudging and the nudging of many friends, now it's time.

I originally started this blog to track my physical recovery. To track struggles and set backs as well as progress and milestones met. After a couple years though it became apparent that my original prognosis of recovery was not accurate and I wouldn't be jumping up to walk at this time in my recovery. I truly believe it will happen at some point in my life, unfortunately not right now. This left me feeling stuck. How was I suppose to blog about recovery and milestones when there weren't any. It left me feeling like there wasn't anything else to say. Nothing worth documenting.

I was asked to speak at a Young Women's in Excellence earlier this year. I was intimidated. I know I have a story and a testimony but having to express my knowledge to youth was nerve wracking. I knew it was an opportunity I needed to take. It turned out to be such a great evening. I felt my talk fall into place, I was able to study and learn for myself, it turned out to be just the bump I needed. These girls and their parents were so kind and really boosted my spirits. Likes it's so often said, I feel this opportunity to speak was much more for me than those I was speaking to.

A few days later as I was reflecting on this opportunity it struck me that my recovery wasn't over. It wasn't all a physical recovery. I think we are all on a continual path of "recovery".  Hopefully we are always trying to learn & grow, heal old wounds, and move in a constant forward progression. So while my physical recovery is currently halted, my spiritual and emotional recovery will be continually on going.

It might not be frequent but there's still much more to say, to learn, and always so much to be grateful for. Physical triumphs are still worth celebrating but they are not the only thing worth documenting.

1 comment:

Kyle and Tiffany said...

Oh, Steph! I'm so excited that you're back. You continue to inspire and amaze me. Love you!